Friday, November 19, 2010

Things that make me "weird"

Recently, I had an overwhelming feeling that I was being judged by a "mainstreamer" because of an opinion I voiced. It really bothered me that my OPINION, that was clearly labeled as just that, was grounds for someone else to comment on with their opinion in a way that made me feel like the way I do things is "wrong".

So here I am making a list of the things I do that some may see as "weird" or "wrong" as well as a few things that I feel very strongly about.

Please don't comment to tell me I'm "damaging" my children. I am a researcher by nature. Before I had children, I looked things up to learn new stuff for FUN. Now that I have little lives that I am responsible for shaping, I do more research. I have not made any decision about how I'm raising my children lightly. There is a lot of research and thought behind everything.

Please do not take anything in this series as a personal attack on your choices. Everyone is allowed to have their own choices and beliefs. If nothing else, please use this post as a way to open your mind to other possibilities.

This first post is just my list / index. In the coming days (or more likely weeks or months) I'll post my detailed explanations and edit here to link to each one.

First, the things I feel very strongly about.
  • Circumcision
  • Car Seat Safety / Extended Rear Facing
  • Cry It Out (CIO) / Sleep Training / Controlled Crying
Ok, now the things that just make me seem crazy to some people.
  • Breastfeeding
  • Cloth Diapers
  • Babywearing
  • Selective and Delayed Vaccinations
  • Baby-Led Weaning / Feeding
  • Co-Sleeping
  • Medications (Tylenol, etc) / Chemicals
  • Potty Training
  • Spanking / Physical Punishment
  • Getting Dirty / Germs
  • Natural Childbirth
Please come back so I can defend discuss my points.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word. I can't believe you said you're a researcher for fun. *falls over*

    No SERIOUSLY. This is something Klynn picks on me for ALL THE TIME. Really. All. The time. LOL It's even turned into an inside joke for us. When she tells me some new factoid and I contest its validity, she'll say, "But I researched it!!" Ask her.

    SO. With all of that said, I just HAD to say, WOO HOO FOR FINDING A FELLOW RESEARCHER!!! I do the same exact thing! I swear, if Google made a search engine chip for the brain, I'd totally have it implanted. (Wouldn't that be so cool???)

    I can't WAIT to see what you have to say about these topics because I think we'll have very similar viewpoints on almost everything. (We've already discovered some of them through talking.) Also, I like that we both blog. It's one way we can swap information without talking over each other and getting all rabbit trail-y. ;^D

    ReplyDelete